Diploma in English Language
The Diploma in English Language is a two-year study program of study designed to enable its holders to possess adequate knowledge, skills, and competencies to use the English language for general purposes. In addition to basic language-related courses, this diploma program offers practicum courses – all designed to help the students reach an adequate level of English language proficiency. Furthermore, the program follows a modern liberal arts approach by exposing the students to a sound knowledge of general sciences, the arts, a study of the Omani culture, a mastery of general computing skills, and an efficient usage of the Arabic Language.
The mission of the Diploma program in the Dept. of Languages and Translation at Dhofar University is to graduate students who possess adequate knowledge, skills, and competencies to use the English language for general communicative, academic and job-related purposes.
To graduate with a Diploma in English Language, students must satisfactorily complete 60 credit hours of course work from the courses that are described in the Program of Study with an overall minimum average of 65 percent.
The general education requirements include the following 9 courses encompassing 27 Credit Hours:
- ARAB 101: Academic Writing in Arabic
- CMPS 100A: Introduction to Technical Computing for the Arts
- ENGL 101: Basic Academic English I
- ENGL 102: Basic Academic English II
- ENGL 203: Advanced Academic English I
- ENGL 204: Advanced Academic English II
- MATH 103: Mathematics for Social Sciences I
- SOCS 100: World Civilizations I
- SOCS 102: Oman Society
The college requirements include the following 2 courses encompassing 6 Credit Hours:
- One, 3-credit hours course in physical/natural sciences elective
- One, 3-credit hours course in humanities and social sciences elective
The program requirements for the Diploma in English Language consists of 27 credit hours distributed as follows.
Major Core Courses
This set includes the following 8 courses encompassing 24 credit hours
- ENGL 120: Understanding English Grammar
- ENGL 160: Understanding Literature
- ENGL 210: Introduction to Linguistics
- ENGL 215: The Sounds of English
- ENGL 230: Prose and Fiction in English
- ENGL 270: Situational English
- ENGL 285: Writing Workshop
- ENGL 290: Poetry
Major Elective Courses
This set includes a 3-credit hour course chosen from the following set:
- ENGL 240: Introduction to Language
- ENGL 255: The Psychology of Language
- ENGL 260: Shakespeare
- ENGL 265: Culture in the Classroom
- ENGL 275: Rhetoric
- ENGL 280: Business English
Click on the following link to download Study Plan….
Click here to download Study Plan for Diploma in English Language